Friday, January 27, 2006

Awesome!

Just for the record, I published my thoughts on "love" five days before Pope Benedict XVI's encyclical on the same subject. I guess it's true what they say about great minds :-)

I've been trying to focus this week on the fact that I'm a walking, talking miracle! I awaken each morning to begin miraculous feats of breathing, eating and thinking that even the most technologically advanced enterprises have yet to duplicate. I drive to work, compute all day, get caught up on world events while eating supper in front of the television, and go to sleep with the confidence that my atomic alarm clock will punctually wake me up to start the routine all over again.

Because it is a routine probably explains why I fail to be in awe of my life, why I take what is so truly amazing for granted. When I don't regard even my own life as extraordinary, it certainly stands to reason that I'm not going to think that anyone else is particularly special either. When the actual miracle is viewed as mundane, I'm drawn to the sensational and extreme to satisfy my longing for the remarkable.

Albert Schweitzer aspired to revere life. His is an example that I find worthy of emulating, and a good start is to quit thinking of my life as anything less than the miracle it truly is. As I grow in such an understanding, I cannot help but hold others with higher regard as well. I cannot explain why life isn't perceived as precious until something threatens to take it away, but that's not going to prevent me from counting each moment as awesome, starting now!

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about the miracle of life too lately. It is amazing and a little bit frightening to listen to your heart beat and realize that the pumping of the tiny muscle is what keeps me alive. This simple realization is a great way to break down what in life is truly important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it that theses truly important revelations are so easy to forget in the heat of the moment? Like when one of the other miracles in the world cuts in line at Starbucks or sits through half of a green light... It's amazing how someone can go from one of God's great miracles to what's wrong with society in about two seconds.

    ReplyDelete