Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Setting the Stage

I am called to share the good news that God is real, and that to the degree we assimilate that reality into our world view our lives are fulfilled through purpose and meaning. I have spent most of my life attempting to integrate my calling into the scheme of organized religion (i.e. the Church) only to gradually realize that the two are not necessarily complimentary, and in many instances are actually incompatible. The dynamic of the Christ (in my humble opinion) is a balancing act of self and other that is held together by the transcendent Other that is ultimately recognized as First Cause. In this sense, the great “commandment” to love God, neighbor, and self is sufficient. If organized religion serves such an end, then it is “worthy” of its calling. If, however, organized religion becomes focused upon its own importance, it fails the litmus test of genuinely being the Body of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment