Thursday, February 15, 2007

An Endless Tale

Procrastinator’s Creed: Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow. I identify with the sentiment. Thanks to George, Abe, and all the other American men who have held the highest office in the land, I’m looking forward to a four day holiday weekend during which I hope to wipe my “to do” slate clean. That may include finalizing the cast of characters in my autobiographical melodrama. Then again, it may not. I’m beginning to think that if I hold even one other person’s attention with this blog then I should be focusing on things that truly matter rather than self-indulgently licking my wounds. Way back when, I started this endeavor in response to a co-worker’s question of whether or not I was really a pastor. I could think better of myself if my response had been along the lines of asking if it really mattered in light of globing warming, Darfur, and the unabashed immorality of the Bush Administration. But I did not. Instead I undertook a seemingly endless rationalization for why I no longer deserve to be addressed as the Reverend Mr. Mark A. Hanna. That’s a succinct summarization, don’t you think?

1 comment:

  1. I think you're wrong (like you've never heard that from me). I don't think that blogging about your history is self-indulgent. I think that the truly great thing about this medium is that it allows people from so many walks of life to share their own experiences, and learn from others who choose to share theirs. In my opinion, blogging is not only about building awareness, but about building community. And as the wonderful minister, fully-deserving of the title, you are, I know you understand that both community and awareness are vital to spiritual growth.

    Right now you may not be focusing as much on "the important stuff," but what you are doing is sharing a part of yourself. You are helping your readers understand who you are and where you come from. And when you have completed your biographical journey, your readers will have a better understanding of your humanity, which makes you infinitely more accessible and authoritative on the human experience than any perfect Pastor Joe.

    And I think the greatest thing you are over-looking is that people will find healing in your healing. And they will find camraderie in knowing everyone, even those with seemingly charmed lives, face challenges, hardship and heartbreak.

    Bottom line: Get on with the story already!

    ReplyDelete