Monday, February 25, 2008

Born to Die, part twelve

Thus far my attempt to answer the question of what happens when I die empirically has yielded little, with the exception of the Law of Thermodynamics which states that energy is neither created nor destroyed but only changes state. This might be applied metaphysically to a belief that the energy I am composed of therefore remains after my death--here being physiologically defined as the absence of vital signs--but is transformed, but I concede that this is a stretch. When attempting to be as objective as is humanly possible, such an understanding explains little and consequently offers a less than satisfactory answer to the question.

My religious upbringing is Methodist, and although I am no longer active in the denomination I nonetheless still find merit in the methodical approach prescribed by John Wesley, the shining example of this being the quadrilateral of Scripture, Tradition, Experience and Reason. Although they have certainly not been exhausted, the quest for an answer to my question has so far consisted primarily of an examination of experience and reason. This leaves me with scripture and tradition, and since tradition is arguably based upon scripture, that would be the logical direction in which to proceed. Does the Bible tell me what happens when I die?

No comments:

Post a Comment