Monday, December 15, 2008

Scrooge 1, Nice 0

As anyone who knows us might expect, my comments last Thursday generated a heated discussion between Mary and me. It also prompted Josh to offer some sage counsel. Mary doesn’t like my use of the ‘n’ word, and quite frankly, neither do I. Mary literally hates the ethnic slur, and so do I. Mary’s best point in the debate was that I don’t deserve to try to identify with African Americans who have been subjected to slavery, discrimination, and the like. This is also true. I know nothing of the black experience. As I explained to her, however, my limited vocabulary doesn’t provide any other word that is as “inciteful”.

So it is in this context that I now open it up to those who read my blog to help me discover the appropriate word that powerfully calls attention to the wholly unacceptable regard of those who consider themselves superior for those whom they consider inferior. This phenomenon is what essentially accounts for all the world’s ills: men consider themselves superior to women, adults consider themselves superior to children, educated consider themselves superior to uneducated, whites consider themselves superior to blacks, and so on. Jesus, as the Christ, revealed that all are equal in the eyes of God and that judgment therefore—that process of assessing what is superior and what is inferior—is the sole jurisdiction of the Creator. As children of God (which includes everyone) there is nothing that justifies an attitude of condescending superiority toward that which is perceived as inferior.

I’m all ready to get on with the happy preparations for the upcoming holidays and set this issue on the back burner until after the New Year. That’s when I’ll revisit it and see if together we can successfully find the word that appropriately speaks of all who are discriminated against as less than equal.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:58 AM

    The english language has so much to offer here, and since we've determined social conventions are out the window anyway it gives us even more room to work with.

    My suggestion is my new favorite word in the world:

    fuckery

    Usage: "It's the same old fuckery it's always been, getting yanked around with no idea where your going."

    "I left because I didn't want to get involved in that fuckery"

    Fuck of course being the quintessential english word: versatile, expressive, onomatopoeic. But the addition of of the "ery" make the sound different. Instead of the hard caustic clacking you usually get it muddles out into messy end, complicated and circling in on itself. It really drives home the convoluted hopelessness of whatever it is your describing. Plus it gives you time to really load the word with emotion.

    It has an advantage over "bullshit" (also a strong contender) in that it implies an active screwing over. Bullshit just is, fuckery needs an agent.

    While fuckery is fun to say (and type for that matter) it does have a learning curve that might make it difficult. Luckily I have a full slate of meetings today to ponder this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I think Josh has this pretty well wrapped up. Who can argue with logic like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering whether or not Dr. Smith would have encouraged us to read an essay entitled "The Student As Fucker". I'm going to have to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:31 PM

    Throughout my youth, in English class I was required to read great works of literature. In doing so, I came to appreciate the value, energy, and descriptive power of words. Whether it was Jefferson’s expressions of a people yearning to be free, Lincoln’s ability in just a few words to express the sorrow and resolve of a nation in turmoil, or King’s dream of hope for a people that had been left behind. Then also, the timeless eloquence of the Savior’s message that continues to touch the hearts of men and women everywhere.

    I now marvel at my grandchildren’s ability to express themselves, as they too, acquire the tools of communication. As their vocabularies expand, their ability to communicate their wants, desires, frustrations, and aspirations will increase.

    I have found crude and coarse language in the barroom and the boardroom. While it may vent an emotion, it rarely conveys the source, extent, or exact meaning intended by venting. It generally says more (or less) about the person, than the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your teachers did well as is evidenced by your articulate comment. I recall the discussion in my high school writing class that debated the pros and cons of sensationalism and shock value. I agree with those who feel that words have only the value we give them, but I also agree with you that our choice of words say much about us. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete