Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Let’s Kill Everybody!

Okay, so here’s the deal! My goal with regard to Incite is to offer provocative insight that stimulates (incites) discussion. The truth of the matter is, however, that Pollyannaish syllogisms like pick your paradigm: competition versus cooperation; incite little or nothing. The history of this blog proves that only the most sensationalistic terms like nigger, talking vagina, or fuckery provoke any response. I take this only as confirmation of the theory of thesholds that posits ever increasing exposure to the extreme gradually desensitizes and ever more sensationalism is required to attract attention. This position holds up under a variety of circumstances and is akin to addiction which requires greater amounts to achieve the same results. As a preacher I found this to be the constant challenge, and to employ traditional liturgy and homiletics literally left no one to listen but the choir. So, I’m again at that crossroads which requires me to choose: sensationalistic extremism or rational discourse. Fortunately, I have a pretty good idea of who my audience is and know that the former is only going to produce a good scolding while the latter will produce…little or nothing. Thanks for letting me get it off my chest. Now, time to get on to more stultifying stuff.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:53 AM

    I was lead to believe this blog entry was about large murder and am very disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:27 AM

    Should be 'large scale murder'.

    ReplyDelete