Thursday, January 22, 2009

That’s My Money You’re Talking About!

According to the current issue of TIME, $1 trillion would enable “the Treasury to give $3272.57 to every man, woman and child in the U.S.” I take this general statement to mean that there would be no conditions of having reached the age of majority or citizenship. At any rate, such a distribution would amount to $6545.14 for Mary and me. We might use such an econmic stimulus to make the down payment on a new car (although I don’t think we’re prepared to buy American), to pay down our mortgage by a bit, or to eliminate our indebtedness (excluding the car and mortgage). We might even put it in savings to help offset what Wall Street has done to our retirement funds. The point is we could choose to do any number of productive things with our money. It fascinates me how we have come to make a distinction between the government’s money and our money. In fact, they are one and the same, and it really seems that we should have some say in how $1 trillion dollars of our money is going to be disbursed. Frankly, I’m not too crazy about the idea of bailing out the American auto industry because of its gross negligence toward the environment and the expensively poor quality of its product. I don’t really want to reward the greed of Wall Street by bailing out the financial sector which is callously indifferent to the future of ordinary people. Nope, if our government somehow has a trillion dollars to give away (also in the TIME article is this example: A stack of $100 bills worth $1 trillion would rise 789 miles—equal to 144 Mount Everests end over end) I want my $3272.57 back so that I can personally spend it as I choose.

2 comments:

  1. No offense, but that's the type of short-sighted thinking that got us into this mess, and resulted in the gross mis-management of the first phase of this bail out. I think by now we should learn that just throwing money unconditionally at anyone is not a long-term solution.

    I do think that using federal money to update and green our infrastructure could be a long term solution. It will create millions of new jobs for Americans without, and we will not only see our public spaces improve, but we will reap the benefits of energy efficiency in our environment and in our collective wallets.

    As much as $7,000 straight to Steve and I sounds good, I know it would be gone in a blink of an eye. And its effect would not be felt a year later (do you still feel satisfied from your $1200 economic stimulus check 6 months ago?). And for those who have lost jobs, $7,000 may only give them 2-3 more months of surviving.

    I agree that I do not approve of the way the bail out has been handled thus far, but with someone I trust finally in the White House, I don't think there's ever been a better time to invest in the future of our country. And that's how I see my $3,272.57. Not as a sum that was pick-pocketed from me, but as an investment in a progressive, energy-efficient America who is finally looking to invest back in her people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's an example for everyone to see of why I feel justified in being so proud of my extraordinarily beautiful daughters.

    ReplyDelete