Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Time Out!

Many of you will be relieved to learn that there are certain occasions which warrant my straying from the tedious story of my life. Today is certainly such an occasion as heartfelt congratulations are extended to Rachel and Steve upon their third wedding anniversary. Talk about Zeitgeist! My noon reading TIME (get it? it’s classic!) included All but the Ring: Why Some Couples Don’t Wed by Lisa Selin Davis. Never mind that the title online is different than the one in print, because the “social norms” article explains how very abnormal Rachel and Steve are. It also serves to explain why I at times feel terribly old. What will probably never be outdated is the commitment derived from genuine love, whatever form it takes. This is what I find so inspiring and hopeful about my daughter and son (in law). That was the other coincidence today (or was it?) as I listened to the Beatles singing what Rachel and Steve used as the recessional at their wedding: All You Need Is Love. I’m exceptionally proud of these two outstanding human beings, happy to have been united with our larger family created by their marriage, and excited by the prospect of exploring new dimensions of just what home can mean. Happy Anniversary, you two, with wishes for many, many more.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you - I'm flattered. I knew being abnormal would pay off some time.

    ReplyDelete