Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Let There Be War on Earth

First, let me invite you to read Alex Altman’s article, Brief History: The War on Christmas.

I found it interesting and I hope you did too. It started me to thinking about other institutions that have declared war on Christmas, some of them quite unlikely. I’ve already referred to Wal-Mart’s “Christmas costs less at Wal-Mart” campaign, which at first glance seems to be in tune with zealous Christians intent upon wiping out political correctness with their version of the reason for the season. I still don’t believe anyone caught the fair translation, “Christmas is worth less at Wal-Mart”. Capitalism and consumerism have combined in the perfect assault upon the holy day that all but obscures its true meaning. Less obvious, however, is Christianity itself. I was inspired by United Methodism’s theological doctrine of not expecting anyone to believe the unbelievable. Alas, like most mainline Protestant churches, United Methodists no longer seek a rational faith but instead promote the popular belief in magic and supernatural miracles. Early on, the Church began to revise the tradition until it conformed to popular expectations. That December 25 is selected as the day of observance directly traces back to the Roman festival of Saturnalia, just one example of the emerging religion’s embrace of contemporary culture. Any time I can embrace a point of view which opposes Bill O’Reilly’s makes me feel good, and I would consider it an honor if he would name me just one more enemy of Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment