Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Am I Annoying You?

“If anybody in this country is forced to undergo a single moment of discomfort, the person who caused it just must go away.” -- Bill Maher

True? I would tend to agree with Maher’s statement. I think back to my years in ministry and remember the times that making parishioners uncomfortable set the stage for a new appointment, just as did making the district superintendent or bishop squirm in their seats. Whether he meant to or not, Maher gives a cogent explanation for what happened to Jesus (and Gandhi, and Kennedy, and King, and …). Many former cabinet members are learning the consequences of giving King George “a single moment of discomfort.”

It’s the ultimate form of censorship: getting rid of those with whom you disagree. There’s a lot of that going on in our country these days, from the Dixie Chicks to Maher himself. It’s how I know that this blog is failing to live up to its name, because I can say anything I please and no one tries to stop me. Oh, that I could just piss the neo-cons off enough that they would come after me! Far more important, however, is that those who do have the national ear continue to agitate and provoke our collective conscience. We need those moments of discomfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment