Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Lunch, Las Vegas Style

The spontaneity of blogging is foreign to this old preacher. The rule of thumb for sermon preparation was one hour for each minute of delivery. I endured plenty of preachers who apparently had neither heard of or believed in such a rule. Anyway, I'm beginning to realize that this form of communication is not amenable to ponderous discertations. It requires a to-the-point brevity that is going to be a new trick for this old dog.

My employer quite unintentionally set the stage for my experimenting with this new process. Our half-hour lunch breaks were replaced with a mandatory lunch hour (the reason given was that this makes it easier on the bookkeeper to keep track of our time; any accountants out there who can help me better understand this are welcome to comment), and so I find myself with a little time to kill each day after I've eaten.

Voila! The perfect time to throw out a few thoughts that haven't been very well thought out! I'm in the habit of reading TIME while I eat, and so at the very least this may afford me the opportunity to regurgitate some newsy items while digesting my meal. This should work out nicely since the Bush Administration makes me want to puke. Well, that should do it for today. Check in tomorrow to see what's on the menu.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:14 PM

    "(the reason given was that this makes it easier on the bookkeeper to keep track of our time; any accountants out there who can help me better understand this are welcome to comment)"

    Because they're bad at fractions? Maybe they just hate the employees?
    That's just weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:27 AM

    Food for thought
    Why are a majority of the poor in our country obese? How many of the uninsured have cable, cell phones, big screen tv's? If Ted Kennedy is such a proponent of affirmative action, why doesn't he give up his seat in the senate to a qualified minority? Why do rich republicans rail against illegal alies, yet use them to cut their grass because it's cheaper?

    ReplyDelete