Thursday, August 24, 2006

Do You Hear What I Hear?

Being “called” is, to the best of my knowledge, scripturally based. Prophets, sages, and yes, even messiahs are subject to a biblical formula for verification and authentication. The formula, however, always presumes that there is One who does the calling. In the preceding article I explained the tremendous influence of my father on me, especially in the context of the church of which he was an integral part. As I gradually perceived my being called, it was only natural that I would attempt to discern whether or not it was my earthly or heavenly father’s “voice” I was hearing. Was I aspiring to nothing more than wanting to grow up to be just like Dad, or was I “hearing” from an even higher power?

Enter the equally significant influence of my mother. While my impression of Dad was how important he was, my impression from Mom was how important I am. Call it maternal nurturing, but Mom was the one who taught me everything from tying my shoelaces to skipping, from singing “Away in a Manger” to the “Lord’s Prayer.” And it was always with the encouragement and affirmation that I was capable of doing these things that Mom gradually revealed to me that there is a purpose to my life that my Creator is capable of communicating to me if I will but “be still and listen.” Mom was the one that inspired me to listen for the call that eventually became the most powerful force in my life.

Of course I didn’t know it at the time, but I was beginning to discern the subtle difference between pantheism and panentheism. Through the sophisticated tutelage of my father my theology encompassed a higher power that was more than just an old man with a white beard sitting on his throne in heaven, but through the loving affirmation of my mother my theology came to allow for the personal quality of God that makes for real dialogue instead of sterile disenfranchisement. Having pursued this path since has helped me to understand how Jesus of Nazareth was able to think of God as his Abba, his “Daddy”, without anthropomorphizing his Creator. Yes, God speaks to me when I listen, and God has called on me to share the good news that such is possible for anyone willing to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment