Monday, September 18, 2006

The Business of Business

To be in business implies that there is either a product or a service being offered for remuneration. Businesses that sell a product usually have customers, while businesses that offer services more often have clients. So, if the church is a business what product or service does it have to offer? Since “church” is a Christian term it seems fair to say that one way or another Jesus is the product to be marketed or the service to be promoted. While I know this sounds harsh, I believe that it is functionally and historically accurate. The legalization of Christianity in the 4th century opened the door for franchising a now politically correct institution that had been a couple of centuries in the making. I was affected by this to the degree that I failed to understand that the church is a business because I was regarding it as the environment in which Christian discipleship could be practiced. Reflection upon those two prospects reveals that they are as different as night and day.

For those who are in the least bit interested in the veracity of what I’m saying, may I recommend the cover story of the September 18 issue of TIME magazine: Does God Want You To Be Rich? I found it to be a rather uncanny coincidence that a national publication would so powerfully support my personal ramblings.

1 comment:

  1. Steve and I were talking about this very thing over the weekend as well. Specifically, is it "good" to make life choices where you may end up with less wealth, but have more time? I think that most in today's society would advise against it. But if you truly believe that this world is temporary but the soul is permanent, why is accumulating material possessions so important? And isn't your time on Earth much more valuable than money? Is St. Peter going to check your bank account and credit rating as you pass through the pearly gates? It's definitely not a new concept though. Weber tackled it quite nicely in "The Protestant Work Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism."

    ReplyDelete