Sunday, October 08, 2006

I Found It!

...with Mary's help, of course. As is true of so much I was introduced to these words in my father's church (I am still trying to figure out if such idealism has proven to be a blessing or a curse to my life). This describes the capital 'C'hurch for which I so long to be a part:

Before I was born MY CHURCH gave to my parents ideals of life and love that made my home a place of strength and beauty. In helpless infancy MY CHURCH joined my parents in consecrating me to Christ and in baptizing me in His name. MY CHURCH enriched my childhood with the Romance and Religion and the lessons of life that have been woven into the texture of my soul. Sometimes I seem to have forgotten and then, when else I might surrender to foolish and futile ideals of life, the truths MY CHURCH taught become radiant, insistent, and inescapable. In the stress and storm of adolescence MY CHURCH heard the surge of my soul and She guided my footsteps by lifting my eyes toward the stars. When first my heart knew the strange awakenings of love MY CHURCH taught me to chasten and spiritualize my affections; She sanctified my marriage and blessed my home. When my heart was seamed with sorrow, and I thought the sun could never shine again, MY CHURCH drew me to the Friend of all the Weary and whispered to me the hope of another morning, eternal and tearless. When my steps have slipped and I have know the bitterness of sin, MY CHURCH has believed in me and wooingly She has called me back to live within the heights of myself. Now have come the children dearer to me than life itself and MY CHURCH is helping me to train them for all joyous and clean and Christly living. MY CHURCH calls me to Her heart. She asks my service and my loyalty. She has a right to ask it! I will help her to do for others what She has done for me. In this place in which I live, I will help Her keep aflame and aloft the torch of a living faith.

--William Henry Boddy

No comments:

Post a Comment