Thursday, August 16, 2007

Be Afraid! Be Very Afraid!

Incite was “dark” yesterday (I just love thespian terminology) because I had the opportunity to eat lunch with my lovely wife who was in the neighborhood complying with her civic duty to respond to a jury summons. After spending an afternoon of not being allowed to do anything but read the books she had brought with her, she was released without being seated.

My remarks today are prompted by the notification I just received from “upstairs” that I am required to—once again—be fingerprinted, a process that I have already been through for two law enforcement agencies, an NASD registration, the privilege of driving a school bus, and part of the screening for my current employment. What has the FBI done with all those perfectly fine fingerprints I’ve already submitted? This is the question I asked my union steward who replied that it’s all part of Homeland Security and that, even though disturbed by the requirement, the union is helpless to do anything about it. Really?

This is not totally unrelated to the thoughts I’ve been sharing about Jesus, Christianity, the antichrist, etc. A theme that runs throughout Judeo-Christian scriptures is, “fear not; be not afraid.” It is in this context, then, that I assert that the current fear tactics generated by the government, ala Bush, are antithetical to the millennia-old faith which it purports to condone. While it is true that I have nothing to hide, and that in this instance just one more set of prints will be added to my file somewhere, it is truly an invasion of my privacy for no other reason than to perpetuate the atmosphere of fear that the antichrist generates in order to feed upon it.

What’s next? The division I work for routinely takes DNA swabs to establish paternity. Is the day coming that Homeland Security will deem a genetic test to be more useful than fingerprints? And will We the People passively acquiesce in order to “prove” that we are patriotic? A great evil is at work in our land, my friends, and I’m beginning to think that it’s time we do something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment