Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Blinded by the Light

It was quite a weekend! Using the holiday to catch up on some overdue viewing, Mary and I watched Clint Eastwood’s films, Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima, and the six-hour CNN presentation of God’s Warriors. A cynical conclusion to be drawn from all this is that human beings are incurably violent and that we will ultimately destroy ourselves. I’m still working on a hopeful point of view.

It all makes me wonder if revelatory enlightenment is simply more than the human mind can handle. Maybe we’re just not hard-wired for anything other than irrational, angry, violent, destructive reactions to perceived threats. If this is the case, then the occasional mutant oddballs like Moses, Buddha, Jesus, Mohammed, Gandhi and King are going to dazzle the masses with incomprehensible gibberish that, in the end, makes no difference.

I personally want to be more than that. I want to believe that even glimpses of what my relationship with One can be may truly inspire me to more Christ-like living. That means, however, that I’m not going to get to go out and smack everyone who disagrees with me upside the head. If I earnestly intend to pursue the Way, then I’m going to have to look past the brilliant p.r. that’s been trumped up to promote these figures in order to actually see the light they shed upon my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment