Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Thank you, Britney!

So, here’s the deal. I’m growing tired of the Jesus thing, which means that my few readers were tired of it long ago. The subject is an important one (see Michael Kinsley’s link on yesterday’s post) that is deserving of much more thought than it generally receives. But that’s my point. Whether as a pastor or layperson, I know relatively few people who share my passion for learning more about the man and his message. The majority seems to be divided between those who just accept whatever they learned from organized religion and those who simply choose to reject organized religion. That pretty well closes the door on any attempt to—as Dr. John Cobb once described the process—peel away the layers of the onion until you get to the actual heart of the matter. I find that my heart is heavy much more of the time than it ought to be, and a rather pessimistic outlook on our future contributes to that. I so desperately want for my children (and, in time, my grandchildren) to know the blessing of moral living, the kind about which Jesus taught, but this seems to be an age of fanatical zealotry rather than of reason. Put more correctly, I’m not personally tired of the Jesus thing. I don’t think I ever will be. But I have grown weary of looking for companions to share the journey. Give me some time to try to think about something popular to write about…did you see Britney at the MTV awards?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:28 PM

    About Britney - I figure the producer of that award show has to take the blame - what did he expect?

    I just happened to think about Jesus today at work, while I was watching one of the five or six videos on "the law and you" as it concerns people who work in a school. We are having to spend our morning preparation time three mornings this week to learn law after law about what we can and can't do or should or shouldn't do when it comes to the children that attend our school. We can't possibly remember all the details conveyed in these videos, but we all have to sign off to show that "we've been told" (the old CYA routine). It made me think about discussions in classes at chuch about Jesus' frustration with the detailed Jewish laws that supposedly had to be followed to be "acceptable" in the sight of God. Seems like learning the Golden Rule and following it would be a lot easier . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the light of my life! I love you!

    ReplyDelete