Monday, September 24, 2007

On Being Preoccupied

Mom was hospitalized yesterday with what is euphemistically referred to as a cardiac event. My sister, Kim, reported not too long ago that a stent (Mom’s second) was successfully inserted and now the waiting period begins. Somewhat ironically, Dad also called yesterday and part of our conversation was about the health issues he’s dealing with. Intellectually, I’ve accepted the course that all we mortals follow, but I still have work left to do on my emotions. My thoughts flashed back to a Sunday very long ago in Colorado Springs when for some inexplicable reason I was profoundly saddened during a church service by the thought of losing Mom. I suppose that developmental psychologists would just chalk it up to emerging abstract thought, but I’ve never forgotten it. I try to remind myself as often as I can that I dwell in the house of the Lord, and that such provides sanctuary from the fear of the shadow of death. As the natural process continues, it occurs to me that the highest honor I can pay my parents is to let them know how very much I will miss them when their time to move on arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment