Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day!

I would be more worried that Mary doesn’t remember our participation in the first Earth Day in 1970, except that she (fortunately for me) has no clear recollection of anything that happened back then. It is our standing joke that I could repeatedly drive her up Coal Creek Canyon northwest of Denver and she would never fail to ask if we’d been there before. I think this speaks directly to how we’ve managed to stay married for thirty-seven years come next month.

Just because she doesn’t have a mind for trivial details doesn’t mean she doesn’t have a solid grasp of the larger issues. Ever since that germinal step of picking up trash outside the Nebraska Wesleyan Student Center we have attempted to “love our mother” Earth and live in harmony with her rather than rape her. Our lifestyle admittedly skews toward the traditional as opposed to the radical, but most of our home lighting now comes from compact fluorescents.

These are some of the thoughts that flashed through my mind as I backed into my preferred space in the County Garage at 6:28 this morning. The 2005 Prius now has 34933 miles on it; having gone 360 miles since I last filled it with gasoline on 04/04/08 (the dashboard readout conveniently informed me that we’ve averaged 50.1 mpg on this tank). Being “green” has been a whole lot easier because Mary and I share the goal—something that may make sense for more than just the two of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment