Tuesday, March 10, 2009

On the Twelfth Day of Lent

It is disconcerting to realize that I have nothing new to say, which leaves me only to try to find different ways of saying the same old thing. For instance, the great theologians (to the best of my knowledge) have never resorted to saying that God would not shoot first. I mean, really! how absurdly idiotic to even say such a thing. And yet it is the meager best I can do to try to come up with some sort of concrete example of what I am talking about. To generalize it somewhat, I am of the opinion that a human being in full relationship with its Creator will never intentionally do harm. I guess because I was a cop once, I place this doctrine of nonmalifecence in the context of intent because I’m not sure that unintentional harm is as immoral as intentional harm. Everything attests to the creative nature of something and refutes nothingness in the process. This is, however, different than saying that destruction is not part of the creative process. Everything seems destined to ultimately yield to something new that will take its place. In the natural world there are destructive forces, but they lack intent and therefore remain consistent with the ultimate creative power that affirms itself. Humans exist for one reason only, the life force that is within them, and it is counter to a harmonious relationship with that force to intentionally destroy it. We would do well to give a great deal of thought to the proposition before we would ever intentionally do harm, because in the end it is ourselves that we are destroying.

No comments:

Post a Comment