Friday, April 03, 2009

The Thirty-third Day of Lent

I’m watching the horrific details of the shootings in Binghamton, New York, unfold and it forces me to refine some of my previous Lenten thoughts.  Earlier I surmised that God would never shoot first.  For lack of a better way to clarify, I find myself resorting to the Matthean premise of good and evil, right and wrong, and therefore qualifying that position insofar as God’s “good” nature would never shoot first.  This is the conundrum of radical monotheism, because this paradigm requires the concession that God’s “evil” nature will shoot first.  The yin and the yang.  The positive and the negative.  The infinite aspects of the whole.  If we are praying to God that these evil occurrences cease with the expectation that God will somehow miraculously intervene, then we must revisit our understanding of the clinical definition of insanity.  Humankind is both blessed and cursed by the gift of volition, the ability to choose the direction the life force within each of us takes.  I pray for an Easter resurrection of my unceasing awareness that the Source empowers me for good or for evil while lovingly encouraging me to resist the temptation of the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment