Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Let the Countdown Begin!

In a little more than an hour from now, Rachel and Steve will be closing on their new house in Fort Collins, Colorado. My predictable parental interest is compounded by the extraordinary fact that Rachel and Steve have invited Mary and me to live with them. This back to the future return to multiple generations living under the same roof was prompted by many conversations about greener, more economical living. From my old hippie days (my apologies to the real hippies; I know I didn’t qualify) came the question of communal living, of sharing resources and responsibilities. Why should four, six, eight, however many people involved require their own individual residences with separate kitchens, bathrooms, etc. Predating the “can’t we all just get along?” question by quite a bit, it seemed that giving up idiosyncratic privacies would be a small price to pay for the overall benefits. It is hard for me to express the degree of satisfaction and gratitude that comes from knowing that my children aren’t eager to dissociate themselves from me once they’re adults. Anyway, the hope is to be blogging from Fort Collins a year from today. That is going to entail a great number of details which will be the focus of Incite for the coming year. I understand if that’s not very interesting to you, dear reader, but it is important to me…and it’s my blog! As always, comments are welcome and may prove helpful as we wind our way toward home.

1 comment:

  1. Marti6:28 PM

    Congrats to Rachel and Steve and the former "hippies". It will be great to have you living closer. I'll be reading your upcoming adventures with interest!

    ReplyDelete