Saturday, March 25, 2006

Day Twenty-two

You cannot pray the Lord’s prayer and
even once say “I”;
You cannot pray the Lord’s prayer and
even once say “my”;
You cannot pray the Lord’s prayer and
not include your brother;
For others are included in each and
every plea;
From the very beginning it never
once says “me”.
(author not identified)

This poem does not come from the Bible. Does that make it any less true? This poem is not found in any dogma, doctrine, or creed. Does that make it any less profound? “Yet the advocate, the holy spirit the Father will send in my stead, will teach you everything and remind you of everything I told you.” (John 14:26 SV) Who exactly was it that decided that anything not endorsed by the organized institution—the Church—could not be considered “official” or as a legitimate and valid communication from the Paraclete?

In this particular instance, the Paraclete communicated to me in a very meaningful way through my father who fulfilled that same function for thousands of others as well in his role as an ordained pastor. Indeed, a primary medium for the living Word of the Christ is both my parents who knowingly or unknowingly have employed Scripture, tradition, experience, and reason to bring and keep alive the spirit within me. And like concentric circles growing from a stone tossed into a pool, God’s voice can be heard in an ever expanding chorus of those who are moved to share their portion of the greater Truth.

The Other is intimately present throughout all Creation. The Other is not bound by mortal rules or institutions. And through the Christ has been revealed the Other’s desire to be in relationship rather than separation. We enter the wilderness through our own choice of isolation, and the way back out is to enter into holy communion with the Other. My continuing fascination with John’s gospel is that while his quotations of Jesus are deemed unauthentic, the profound Truth remains unaffected: “Don’t you believe that I’m in the Father and the Father is in me? I don’t say what I say on my own. The Father is with me constantly, and I perform his labors.” (John 14:10 SV)

No comments:

Post a Comment