Sunday, December 23, 2007

Happy Birthday, Dad!

My horoscope said that I should lead more with heart than head today, and that makes perfect sense as I honor my father on his eighty-fourth birthday. As I said in an earlier post, a common response to learning that my birthday falls on Christmas is, “Oh, that’s too bad!” When you know the rest of the story (thanks, Paul Harvey), however, which is that Dad’s birthday is on the twenty-third, then you will understand why there has always been a well-defined separation of birthday and Christmas in our household. Thanks, Dad, for letting me share your special day all these years!

Mothers and fathers are our first acquaintances on this earthly plane, and no one is more blessed than I by my parents. As I am learning with my own daughters, bringing life into this world introduces one more uniquely perceptive consciousness that didn’t exist before that moment. I never once feared for my safety, my welfare, or my survival—unless, as I grew older, circumstances warranted it. I was blessed far more than many by parents who held an extraordinarily wide worldview that encouraged rather than inhibited an almost unconditional curiosity about life and its meaning.

In my almost fifty-eight years, my appreciation of Dad, and my gratitude for all that he’s done and continues to do for me, continues to grow. Dad has been ordained to touch a multitude of lives through his ministry, and I treasure that I am one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment