Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Whenever We're Ready!

Yesterday, I alluded to what Christmas means to me. It was, however, so subtle that no one may have noticed. “The celebration of new life for joy, hope, love and peace” captures for me the essence of what it’s all about (hey, when no one else will, I am forced to quote myself). Emmanuel, literally ‘God with us’, is the ever-present reality that generates peace on Earth and goodwill toward all humankind whenever we allow ourselves to come into full relationship with our Creator, or, as Jesus said, we are born from above. Phillips Brooks was a powerful preacher, author, and poet, perhaps best known to many for his beloved carol, O Little Town of Bethlehem. I find the whole poem to be prophetic, but particularly his line:

Where meek souls will receive Him, still
the dear Christ enters in.


This is the spirit of Christmas that will more than likely not be found at Best Buy or Sears, but which stirs genuine hope in the hearts of those who earnestly seek it.

No comments:

Post a Comment