Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Cirque de OJ

You’ll please forgive me while I vent! Just how stupid are we Americans, anyway? We’ve been stupid enough to allow George W. Bush et al to remain in the White House for the last eight years. We’re stupid enough to want to drill deeper for finite fossil fuels that pollute the environment. We’re even stupid enough to think that Sarah Palin can appeal to disenchanted supporters of Hillary Clinton. But today, as I walked past bomb-sniffing dogs while walking from the parking garage to my cubicle, I came to believe that our stupidity may well be beyond redemption. O.J. Simpson, criminal célèbre, is back in town and that means, I guess, it’s time to turn Las Vegas upside down again just for him. There must be bureaucrats and politicians who benefit from grandly exaggerating the need to provide security for this dried-up hoodlum because I can think of no other way to explain a protocol which exceeds that of presidential visits (yes, George has been to Las Vegas). Given everything that’s going on in the world, I’m just plain embarrassed and disgusted by how stupid we’ve become. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment