Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Show Me the Love!

"Beware of false prophets who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are savage wolves. (Matthew 7:15)

Perhaps the most disillusioning disappointment of my life thus far is to realize that to profess oneself a Christian more than likely does not mean that one is a disciple of Jesus of Nazareth. Oh, institutionalized religion (i.e. the Church) does a masterful job of deceptively making it seem that the two are one and the same, but they are not.

If the constitutional separation of Church and State was not being so blatantly blurred in this country, my concern would appropriately be limited to myself. But when the Christian Right dictates a vice-presidential nominee to compensate for its misgivings about John McCain who has nothing more in common with Hillary Clinton than anatomy, then it’s time to share my concern on a more widespread basis.

As one who “lived” the Church for more than half a century, I can tell you point blank that most Christianity, particularly the popularized contemporary versions, have little or nothing to do with being a disciple of Jesus. Indeed, the Christian profession of faith is to the dogma and doctrine of the institutionalized Church, and has been since Constantine legalized the religion in 313 C.E.

I really don’t give a rat’s behind whether or not our politicians are Christians, but I am outraged at the Rovian strategy of colluding with the Christian Right in the name of Christianity. I resent that my identity has been co-opted by the wolves in sheep’s clothing who are now corrupting my America, as well.

Jesus provided the litmus test of discipleship: “By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (John 13:35)

No comments:

Post a Comment