Thursday, July 15, 2010

So Long, Farewell!

I’ve been humoring myself with thoughts of how my exit interview from this place might go. “Please tell us, Mr. Hanna, what things we might be doing differently to raise our performance measures.” That ain’t going to happen! My retirement from Clark County is going to consist of turning in my ID badge and the key that locks a couple of drawers in my cubicle while providing an address to which my final paycheck will be mailed. A pat down and search of my backpack will be consistent with the detention facility mentality that prevails. There might be a Men in Black type of memory eraser to prevent my walking out of here with valuable passwords and codes. I’ve never seen anyone who has already retired to ask. They just disappeared as I will the first of September. All kidding aside, I leave this place with a heavy heart for my coworkers who have no choice but to remain and endure this incredibly dysfunctional environment. Yes, I said dysfunctional, and I challenge anyone who might question my analysis to take as close a look at this middle school culture as I have for the last eleven years. I know dysfunctional when I see it, and I’m sticking by my judgment. As with so many organizations, the most valuable resource in this organization is its people. And as with so many dysfunctional organizations, management sees its people as the problem rather than the solution. I am grateful for the paychecks I have earned from Clark County, but I can honestly say that they (and my friends) are the only things I’m going to miss when I’m gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment