Wednesday, July 14, 2010

What Happened?

I didn’t post yesterday because I was thoroughly enjoying lunch with some of my colleagues at Baja Fresh. My time at my current employment has been remarkably unremarkable; perhaps with the exception of being the only recipient of the “bad attitude” lecture from former assistant D.A. Bob Teuton (I’ve long had the knack of rubbing authority the wrong way). But even though my name will never be engraved on the employee excellence trophy, I’ve gained some very dear friends whom I will miss greatly when I retire. My lot is the grunts (I do not say this disparagingly; we know who we are and we accept it) who do the dirty work so that our masters can keep their hands clean. In the world of superiors, we are the inferiors who manage to keep things going in spite of the elite’s best efforts to screw things up. I’ve discovered that this is not necessarily helpful when supplying references on job applications because prospective employers don’t really care about what grunts think, and those whose reference employers respect aren’t inclined to say nice things about grunts—if they even know who we are. So, the chapter about my being a Camusian bureaucrat is about to close, but the story of my friendships will last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment