Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Short Complaint

The past 5+ years have literally been a blessing as Gleevec has held my leukemia at bay. I hope to be posting a similar message five years from now. But the truth of the matter is that I’m living on borrowed time, and to be honest, I just don’t feel quite as good as I used to. It’s been a frustrating process trying to work with doctors who seem to regard my seeing them as a privilege worth paying for. To a degree, this is true, but the privilege doesn’t eliminate the desire to be treated as a person of worth rather than an impending cadaver. It would be less than honest to not say that our move to Fort Collins is driven in large part by my desire to get Mary nearer to family. The peaceful death of which Thoreau spoke would, I think, elude me if I knew that I was abandoning her in Las Vegas. Per Desiderata, my timing seems to be pretty good because it looks like I’m going to be around for the relocation. This somewhat morbid musing on my part was instigated by my absence from work the last two days because of not feeling well enough to come in. I’m not feeling all that great today, but I have my three day weekend to look forward to as an opportunity to get “recharged” for next week. I’ve intentionally tried not to complain too much since being diagnosed, but I have to admit that the specter looming over my shoulder is getting a little old. I have so many things and so many people to be grateful for, and that will continue to be my focus as we move toward the good things yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment