Sunday, December 12, 2010

Third Sunday of Advent

Solitary moments such as this one are more rare since retiring. This is equally true for Mary. The "us" that is preparing to celebrate forty Christmases together has been developing in a broader context for all these years, and I'm finding my increased exposure to Mary to be a miraculously marvelous thing! She will have to tell you how she is feeling about it. The more I learn about myself leaves no question in my mind that I am most blessed. The association between cold winter weather and Christmas logically seems more natural to both of us. The Fort Lauderdale and Las Vegas yuletides frankly seemed a bit strange, even though those climates probably more closely approximate that of the very first Christmas. Anyway, I am thoroughly enjoying a relaxed holiday season with plenty of time to spend with loved ones--especially my partner in life. There are only two gospel mentions of the nativity, but the serene image of a father, a mother and a child quietly loving one another on a winter's eve certainly helps set the stage for the greatest story ever told.

No comments:

Post a Comment