Monday, June 25, 2007

Don't Worry, Be Happy!

Most retarded people seem to be happy. This may not be the most insensitive, politically incorrect thing I’ve ever said, but it has to come close. But my casual observation of those who are not endowed with great intelligence (as is determined by those who identify themselves as intelligent) is that they enjoy a degree of contentment and happiness that results from not knowing (or caring) how deprived they are in comparison to those who seem to be chronically unhappy as a result of all that they do know. Jesus spoke of the happiness of children as a way of better envisioning what God’s reign on earth looks like. Confident of belonging and being loved without knowing any better lends credence to the notion that ignorance truly is bliss. The childish acceptance of belonging to one’s Creator is obviously more conducive to happiness than is the more “mature” obsession with having to think it through in terms of validity and veracity. Could it be that we’re not happier simply because we think too much? It’s probably time to wrap up this segment before I offend the enlightened, the intellectual, the intelligent more than I already have. If I can think of a way, however, to retard myself (yes, I see the contradiction) it may be well worth the effort just for the happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment