Thursday, October 25, 2007

Or Are You?

I have sixteen minutes until my lunch hour expires. Once again I find myself trying to sort out the genuinely depressing aspects of current affairs from those that my own depression may be tainting. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan: truly depressing or just the blues? The ineptitude and corruption of government: is it bothering anyone else or just me? Climate change (i.e. global warming): are we nearing the tipping point of no return or am I just gullible? There are times when the Apostle Paul’s notion of being in the world but not of it makes sense to me. Other times, I cannot find my way past the perception that this present reality is what we make of it, and what we’re making is one deadly mess. I cannot explain how it is that I find myself at this point in space and time, which leads me to ask whether or not it makes any difference. What am I, O Lord, that Thou art mindful of me?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:04 PM

    Dear Mark,
    I have enjoyed your recent postings on morality and faith. As I read your post this day I thought of how sometimes the events in the macro blind us to the events in the micro, that we can have some influence or impact upon. I heard a talk this last conference that hit close to home with me and I think you would enjoy reading it.

    http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-775-24,00.html

    When I reflect on the many blessings in my life, and of the resosiblities that come with those blessings. It presents me with the things that I can do, the difference that I can make. And in doing so, hopefully this world is improved in a small measure and some of His purposes are being fulfilled.

    In the meantime, keep up the good work. A tree that falls in the forest does indeed make a sound..., which listening ears can hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:11 PM

    Steve the Dad, at times, not only has problems accepting responsibility, but apparently spelling it too.

    ReplyDelete