Tuesday, October 16, 2007

What, Me Worry?

Why worry about what is moral and what is not? If morality is considered to be some relativistic conformity to the “rules” of a deity whose very existence is arguable, then there’s probably no reason to be losing sleep over it. If, on the other hand, the Higher Power is real and the logic I’ve just suggested is erroneous, then there might be reason for concern. Let’s take what is happening to the Arctic as an example. If I do not believe in a god, then I have no agreement or covenant to abide by other than the conventions of my fellow human beings. These, as we’ve seen, can and do cover the spectrum of opinion and are extremely susceptible to situational ethics. Some people are concerned that the polar ice cap is melting, others are not. Some argue that science proves global warming and climate change while others contend that the jury is still out. Legality and ethicality prevail in the void of no higher power to which we hold ourselves accountable. If, however, I comprehend that I am part of the Whole which is greater than I am, and if my faith confirms the reality of relationship, then my failure to regard what is happening to the Arctic denies the “connection” and I find myself suffering the consequences of immorality. Failing to assume authentic stewardship for what has been given to me is immoral not because I can find it somewhere in the Bible that God says “Thou shalt not melt the polar ice caps” and I disobey, but because it denies the sacred relationship between creation and the Creator (and that includes me).

No comments:

Post a Comment