Monday, November 17, 2008

Monday Follows Sunday

I am remiss whenever I forget to be consciously grateful for the myriad of blessings that are mine. I am equally remiss if my acknowledgment does not include an awareness of the many that are not as blessed and a confession that some of the good fortune I experience comes at a cost to others. The Zeitgeist is ripe for pondering the multitude of ways that selfish greed has consumed the American worldview and to repent. We don’t need all the stuff that consumerism says we can’t do without. We should stop playing the game of planned obsolescence whereby the perfectly good is discarded in able to obtain the “new and improved.” We need to somehow replace pseudo-thanks for cheaper gasoline with genuine appreciation for what $25 per gallon could mean to the planet and its future generations of inhabitants. The authenticity of my gratitude will be determined by the changes it inspires me to make in order that all my brothers and sisters may be equally blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment