Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Reasons for Thanksgiving

Count Your Blessings
I find it to be true that the methodical, conscientious inventory of all the good things in my life leaves very little room for the bad. As President-elect Obama challenges us to sacrifice luxury for moderation, he will do well to have us do so in the context of counting our blessings. For those of us who have roofs over our heads, food in our bellies, clothing enough to protect us from the elements, our concentration on those gifts will provide the context in which we see the need to ensure that everyone can be grateful for the same things. Again, relativity is key. Should I let myself obsess on those who have more than I, my unhappiness will likely increase because there are always going to be those who have more than I do (Warren Buffet and Bill Gates being the exception). But when I concentrate on all that I do have, including so many intangibles like the love of family, etc, my mind turns not to what more I need but to the abundance that allows me to share. I want to believe that one of the profound changes in the air these days is the dismissal of greed as the sinfully immoral thing it is. That can start with this first Thanksgiving of a new era in which we gather with loved ones around the table and give thanks for what we have, and to find authentic expression for that gratitude in the selfless act of sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment