Tuesday, August 25, 2009

In My Next Life I Want To Be Joe Klein

I unintentionally made my sister cry the last time I saw her. It wasn’t the first time (and I fear it won’t be the last) that my imperfect attempts to communicate have resulted in totally undesired effects. I am so deeply grateful for people like Joe Klein who possess the gift of articulation which so precisely states that which my irrational ramblings fail to. As a preface to Klein’s essay, I borrow from a review of T.R. Reid’s book, The Healing of America: A Global Quest for Better, Cheaper, and Fairer. Described as “a Washington Post correspondent with a nagging shoulder injury from his Navy days, Reid traveled the world to see how other countries’ health-care systems would treat him. From Germany to Canada to Taiwan, he finds several different models for success, all with one thing in common. When considering whether a government has a moral obligation to provide access to health care for all its citizens, Reid notes, ‘every developed country except the United States has reached the same conclusion.’” That being said, I invite you to spend the next few minutes reading The GOP Has Become a Party of Nihilists, by Joe Klein.

No comments:

Post a Comment