Thursday, November 05, 2009

When Stupidity Reigns

Stupid

I know that this is not going to be politically correct, but I’m going to say it anyway. When did we Americans become infatuated with stupidity? One only has to look at George W. Bush to see that we elected a stupid president. I’m sure I’m biased, but Sarah Palin is stupidity manifest. The Playboy of my youth relished stupid blondes, or, for that matter, any female that was too stupid to say anything but ‘yes’. Dumb blonde jokes. Moron jokes. Pollock jokes. There was no end to making fun of the mentally challenged. But now we seem to have done a 180 and idolize those who can’t remember their own phone number without writing it down. I clearly remember the day that Steve Longshore and Mark Beniga slammed me up against a locker demanding that I tell them the secret to being smart. There have always been dumb jocks. But today it would probably be made into a reality series that would financially reward their stupidity. Before our technology made possible the destruction of the very planet upon which we live, maybe stupidity was something to be endured. But now that we can actually destroy ourselves, I think we need to reevaluate the wisdom of allowing stupdity to permeate the power structure. In other words, stupid is dangerous and we need to be about reducing the risk in whatever ways we can. That, in my opinion, is the smart thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment