Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Whiter Shade of Pale

I just used up my blogging time talking to a coworker about all the hoopla surrounding Harry Reid’s “racial” remarks about Obama. I’ve never really bothered to evaluate what shade of black she is, or whether she speaks the Negro dialect. Likewise, she has not determined the degree of my whiteness nor pegged which part of the West my drawl is from. But we’re in agreement that Reid’s mistake was one of political correctness and not of bigotry or malice. We also agree that the extreme Right, in whatever form, is on the verge of being downright scary. Given the increasing irrationality of our society, I can imagine Sarah Palin being elected president. I don’t even have to imagine what I’ll do when that happens. “Oh Canada, oh Canada…”

No comments:

Post a Comment