Monday, February 22, 2010

Count Your Blessings

I woke up this morning! That in and of itself was a miracle! And the miracle has continued unabated right through midday. I am thinking! That in and of itself is a miracle! I am acting! That in and of…you get the picture. When life is defined as the opposite of death it cannot help but be regarded as a miracle. I am well aware that there are many for who death would seem preferable to life, but the issue there is not whether or not it is a miracle but what stands in the way of it being perceived as one. To accept the miracle diminishes the downside of virtually everything. Any food is a gift. The roof over my head and the clothes I am wearing are gifts. The traffic to and from work is not so important when understood in the context of getting to drive as a gift, indeed a privilege. Albert Schweitzer encouraged a reverence for life, and seeing life as a miraculous gift goes a long way toward that end. I am totally blessed. There is nothing for which I can be genuinely ungrateful. The breath of God is within me and that gives me life!

No comments:

Post a Comment