Monday, February 08, 2010

The Time Draws Nigh

As if to make us not feel too badly about moving away, Las Vegas has had an uncharacteristically cloudy and damp winter. I haven’t had to shovel any snow in the fourteen years we’ve lived here, but many of the winters past have been milder and sunnier. I’m keeping alert to how this is affecting Death Valley because a second viewing of that desert in bloom may be in the offing. I’m scheduled for a pre-retirement seminar this afternoon which is helping the reality sink in. In one sense I have absolutely no business thinking about retirement, but, as I’ve explained before, my disease has focused my attention on just how I want to spend the time I have remaining. My most prominent feeling right now is gratitude. What a miracle it is to even have such decisions before me. I am keenly aware that millions, possibly billions, of humans have no such future before them. I am blessed in so many ways that I cannot even begin to count them all. I’m thinking that life from now on is going to be about turning that blessedness into blessings for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment