Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Looking Forward to Death

I apologize to those for whom my current focus upon death is disturbing, even distressing. Those who have known me for any length of time know that this is not a new interest, that quite to the contrary it has been with me since I first realized that I’m going to die. Observing from the perspective of actions speaking louder than words, I have concluded that it is rare to accept one’s death from the outset. Life is what we covet. Life is what we want to keep at any expense. Life is our “friend” and death is our “enemy”. Tomorrow the Christian observance of the Season of Lent begins, culminating as it always does in the resurrection story of Easter. Many of the devout and pious will adorn themselves with the sign of the cross on their foreheads while hearing “from dust you were made and to dust you will return” during the imposition. It is a most appropriate way to begin the symbolic journey into and out of the wilderness, although mardi gras belies the sincerity of the quest for many. This is not the first time that I have expressed my belief that Jesus of Nazareth’s profound impact on history was not immortality, but a lesson in living to die. So, if this isn’t your cup of tea it would make sense to tune me out until after Easter. But if you’re as interested as I am in learning the way of the Christ, in learning how to look forward to death, then I think we have the ultimate journey before us to share together.

No comments:

Post a Comment