Monday, June 19, 2006

Thanks for the Memories

Yet another memorable weekend is now history. Last Friday Mary and I drove to Flagstaff to help Rachel and Steve move to Phoenix, and even though we were on the road at 6:10 AM we arrived after the bulk of the loading was finished. Steve took the lead with his Budget rental truck and handled it with the aplomb of someone who had been driving over the road for years. Rachel and Mary followed in the Subaru, and I dutifully took up the rear with the Prius which meant I got to try out the sound system at heretofore prohibited levels. We finished the day as guests of Alex and Michelle at Ajo Al’s and checked in to the Camelback Marriott Courtyard that was about four blocks from Rachel and Steve’s new apartment.

Saturday, I cleverly got us out of unloading the truck by managing to lose track of my wallet. After turning our hotel room upside down and inside out, after thoroughly searching both cars, and checking the lost and found at every place we had been the night before, I finally remembered that I had left it at Pie Zano’s where Mary and I had eaten breakfast. Returning the wallet to me intact, I tried (really! I tried) to reward the staff for their honesty and restoring my sanity, but they wouldn’t hear to it. My senior moment left just enough time to get ready to attend Kyra’s second birthday party, hosted by her parents. Just as at Steve and Rachel’s wedding, it was most enjoyable for our two now-united families to get together for a celebration.

My Father’s Day treat was breakfast at Melanie’s French Bakery & CafĂ© (Rebecca had already provided me with a shrimp dinner and a dozen classic rock albums the previous Wednesday), and then off to worship at Ikea where Rachel and Steve have identified many of the furnishings they want for their new apartment. The apartment is centrally located with deluxe amenities which include a garage! I am so happy for them that they were able to find a place so much to their liking. We learned that the drive home to Las Vegas should begin no later than noon, but we had such a pleasant trip that it more than compensated for arriving well after my Sunday bedtime. I know that there are many more trips to Phoenix in our future, but there’s only one first time. As Bob Hope was famous for saying, “Thanks for the memories!”

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:13 PM

    I couldn't have said it better myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all of your help! We were so happy to have you! Not to correct you on your Father's Day blog, but it was la Madeleine's French Bakery. It sounds much more authentic that way so I had to point it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stand corrected. Do not, however, forget the fifth commandment.

    ReplyDelete