Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Busted!

I’ve just returned from another idyllic lunch with Rebecca at Mayor Oscar’s Centennial Plaza. I do love the weather here. I was in a happy frame of mind until I reached my building, whereupon I was reminded of what a hypocritical, classist organization I work for. Attorneys in this legalistic environment are just a step below God, and I remember when Sheriff Bray had just returned from a hearing before a federal judge saying he knew what it was like to be in God’s presence. A professionally attired attorney (I’m guessing her suit would pay for half a dozen of mine) entered the security area just ahead of me and proceeded with impunity through the gate clearly marked for use by the handicapped only. I’m sensitive to this, because the disciplinary action taken against me several years ago was precisely for my allegedly wanton disrespect for the building’s security policy and procedures (never mind that the gates weren’t even installed at that time and I was found guilty of having encroached upon an imaginary one) and proof positive of my defense at the time that someone from the rarified upper echelons of our organization would never find themselves being disciplined for the same infraction. Chalk one up for the kid being right; that and $1.99 will be enough to buy you a cup of (not Starbucks) coffee. I refer the reader to my earlier Gibbs quote on the antidote for hypocrisy while I give some thought as to how to charge an omnipotent superior with a violation.

No comments:

Post a Comment