Monday, May 14, 2007

The Day After

It’s my guess that a genuine appreciation for parenthood is not fully comprehended until one becomes a parent. As I reflect on yesterday’s observance of Mother’s Day and look ahead to its counterpart next month, I realize that even though I though tried to show my gratitude to my parents on their special days I didn’t truly understand the many challenges they worked through until I had to work through them myself. For several years now, Mary’s mom and mine have asked that we do nothing more than send a pretty card. I have always taken this as a rather unreasonable limitation upon the occasion that is intended to revere motherhood until this year I saw with new vision Mary doing the same thing (she has never felt that material gifts from Rachel and Rebecca were necessary to demonstrate their love and appreciation for her). Slowly but surely, I’m getting it. This is what unconditional love is all about; it is giving and giving some more without the least expectation of anything in return. And so, on this day after, I am filled with awe as I ponder the magnificent beauty of motherhood. A woman with children does not a mother make until glorious, unselfish love validates the title.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:22 PM

    I'm just now catching up on reading your blog, and I had to comment on this one. Thank you for that beautiful statement on motherhood, My Dear!

    ReplyDelete