Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Falling Short, Again!

“If there is an antidote to hypocrisy, it’s humility; just admitting the possibility of weakness can be a source of strength.” --Nancy Gibbs

I’ve had another minor collision with the hierarchy that seems, in my life anyway, to be omnipresent. The details are so ridiculous as to not justify devoting any time to them, but the end result of being summoned to meet with Assistant District Attorney Robert Teuton deserves my comments. There are a few things to know about my assigned profession (I really didn’t choose this one) that are probably not readily available to the casual reader. In the area of Child Support Enforcement, only Guam rates lower than the State of Nevada with regard to compliance with federal guidelines. Roughly seventy-five percent of the state’s population served by the program resides in Clark County. Simply put, I work for the worst child support enforcement agency in the country. The powers that be are understandably defensive about this indefensible position, and the genius of the administration that I am employed by is its ability to blame the grunts in the trenches for all the things that go wrong. Hence, my e-mail sent to a few friends satirizing our awards committee’s need to conduct fundraisers in order to buy the employee excellence trophies didn’t go over when Big Brother intercepted it, and that’s how I earned an attitude adjustment session with Number Two. Now, if I could only think of a way to get the attention of Number One…

No comments:

Post a Comment