Thursday, July 26, 2007

Is This the Best I Can Do?

My blog should probably be named something else, because my insight fails to incite much of anything (yes, the homophone was intentional). Case in point: my explanation thus far of what I understand to be true about Jesus has not created any great stir. How could it? I’ve basically described Jesus as a nice guy that could be trusted. While such a personality seems rare in real life, such uniqueness doesn’t really explain how or why a religion was started around it. One of the arguments used by those to support the supernatural divinity of Jesus is that he was more than just another good teacher; he was God made flesh on Earth. I have long appreciated Albert Schweitzer’s observation that the claims made for Jesus since his earthly ministry are not claims that he ever made for himself. The Jesus I “know” would have, I think, been satisfied to be thought of as good and trustworthy, if, that is, such a perception didn’t get in the way of the message he had to proclaim. Here is where I find Jesus to be at radical odds with the religious establishment of his day and thus at odds with the Church that has developed in his name. Jesus, I think, primarily wanted to communicate that one’s relationship with God is utterly personal. He knew this for a fact from his own experience, and consequently he did not go about telling people what steps to take to develop their own relationship with the Creator but only that because it was possible for him it is possible for anyone. That’s revolutionary revelation for the masses, but it is absolutely treasonous to those who aspire to have power and control over their fellow humans. He was a nice guy that could be trusted, but his principal message is as threatening to the status quo as any ever revealed to human consciousness.

PS
Mary’s second blog post was a long time coming, but is well worth the wait. You can read her thoughts at the Rant link on my home page (be sure to book mark it for when she decides to rant again).

PPS
I think you’ll enjoy reading Lisa Takeuchi Cullen’s essay, I Confess, I Want Latin.

No comments:

Post a Comment