Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Jesus is just alright with me…

It probably seems to some that I’ve had the arrogant audacity to criticize historical and contemporary interpretations of Christianity, even to the point of calling George W. Bush’s profession of faith a lie (I take some comfort in learning that I am not alone in my opinion; see Joe Klein’s Bush’s July Surprise for Iraq). I can understand that some might ask: who are you to make such judgments? But after learning that Tori Spelling is now ordained I have concluded that I am entitled to my interpretation but that it is my responsibility to articulate it publicly so that my readers can evaluate its legitimacy. In one way it is encouraging to know that religion is an integral facet of American life and politics, but on the other hand it is somewhat frightening to realize what is passing for religious thought. I have no way of knowing whether this mental spurt will last until tomorrow, but right now it seems exciting and challenging to spell out what I understand of Scripture, of Jesus, and of the Church that has evolved in his name. Do I know more about these topics than the people I criticize? Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment