Monday, July 23, 2007

What a Friend We Have In Jesus

Being born on December 25 gives one an intuitive affinity with Jesus of Nazareth. I do not quarrel with the scholarship which posits that the date more likely coincides with a pagan Roman holiday (Saturnalia) than the actual birth date of Jesus. Nevertheless, it does mark the time that Christianity has designated for the event and anyone born around that time—as I was—is immersed in the imagery, iconolatry, and legend of the celebration. In other words, I was introduced to the concept of Jesus from the very beginning.

It would be disingenuous of me to attempt to claim that I know anything about what Jesus the human was like. An elementary study of the gospels of the New Testament quickly reveals that there is more disagreement than agreement with regard to the descriptions of Jesus found there. The common thread that weaves among all accounts, however, is that this Nazarene from Galilee exhibited an extraordinary relationship with the Divine that permeated all he said and did. There is also an implicit message about the man’s humble character which allowed him to be remarkably approachable. Indeed, Jesus went looking for disciples whom he would call his friends. No fortresses. No temple courts. No bodyguards. I get the strong impression that had I lived then and had I desired to become one of Jesus’ friends, that would have been possible.

It is impossible to try to reconcile the contemporary world we live in with the ancient one in which Jesus lived, not to mention that it is rather absurd to even try. Two millennia later we have only impressions and interpretations to work with, but the one that stands out most strongly in my mind is that in Jesus people quickly discovered a genuine friend that was humble enough to relate to them at their level. Today’s world doesn’t seem to value humility much. In fact, quite the opposite it true. Think of the world’s leaders and try to determine which of them would walk up to you and ask you to be her/his friend. I’m thankful that the most significant person in human history would have (I think) been my true friend.

PS
I enjoyed reading Amy Sullivan's essay, The Origins of the God Gap. I hope you will, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment