Monday, June 09, 2008

Alone in Las Vegas, Again

Novel experiences are less likely to affect those of us with nearly six decades under our belt (and that’s exactly where most of it seems to have gone) but for the second time this year I find myself in the unique position of not being anywhere near family or friends. The weekend visit with Neal was terrific, but he headed out for Colorado this morning. Mary flew to Lincoln yesterday to spend the week with her mom and Nebraska family. Steve and Rachel are in Fort Collins and Rebecca, of course, is in Flagstaff (she’s “it” if the closest one has to race to Las Vegas to pull my toe out of the tub faucet or some such thing). It is a repeat of the most isolated I’ve ever been in my entire life even though I’m surrounded by a couple of million people. Such circumstances give pause for reflection which hopefully will explain my waxing philosophical for the next few days. For starters, tomorrow I will be sure to get out of bed when my alarm goes off.

No comments:

Post a Comment